DEPARTMENT OF PEDODONTICS AND PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY
Caring and curing a young child is one of the most challenging tasks that a dentist faces. Pedodontics is an age defined specialty that provides primary and comprehensive, preventive and therapeutic oral health care for infants and children through adolescence, including those with special health care needs.
The department imparts a thorough knowledge of the basic sciences and advanced learning techniques in the clinical science through practical training that involves working on children. They also receive advanced training in all the specialized care that children demand. Students participate in community camps conducted in various schools and community centres that prepare them to render appropriate treatment. Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry at Mar Baselios Dental offers graduate and postgraduate programme approved by Dental Council of India.
Goals of the Department
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to
- Identify and differentiate between normal and abnormal somatic dento-facial and psychological growth and development.
- Understand child behavior and anxiety and able to communicate and manage children showing apprehension and moderately disruptive behavior using behavioral and pharmacotherapeutic techniques.
- Diagnose and plan appropriate therapy for common oral health problems for children.
- Provide treatment for mental, physical and emotionally handicapped children and also for medically compromised patients.
- Recognize and manage medical emergencies commonly encountered in children and adolescent undergoing treatment.
- Develop a preventive program for an individual patient.
- Make appropriate referrals.